September 14, 2006

I'm Still in Shock

I got up early this morning (quite the feat, since it was already morning when I got in the bed!). I knew I had to be on track since R started midnights again last night and wouldn't be in any shape to help his girls make it out the door without killing each other (we're not exactly bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the morning).

So, I was up early (in case you forgot) and even had enough time to program my Mr. Coffee so that it wouldn't blink 12:00 anymore, like it's been doing since our electricity went out a couple of weeks ago. I had to push more buttons than "On/Off". I even set it to brew while I was in the shower. You're impressed, right?

The morning went smoothly. No arguments about getting dressed. No panic about running late. We even avoided our hair fixin' fight (a morning ritual at our house, let me tell you!). CJ even commented that we were leaving the house when we were supposed to! We headed out, she read to me in the car, then we prayed.

It was a perfectly lovely morning.

I got to work 30 minutes early. The building was dark. I was looking forward to putting on my makeup, then eating my granola bar & drinking my coffee (Starbucks Breakfast Blend with Vanilla Caramel creamer, no less) in peace before the day came crashing in.

I unlocked the office door. Put some things in the fridge. Juggled the makeup bag, lunch bag, keys, pocket book & coffee to open the door to my office. You know what's coming next, right? Do I really have to say it?

So now, here I sit with one pants leg soaked. Fortunately, they're black. And no one was here, so I was able to take them off and rinse them. And it's not 123° outside anymore, so I'm not dying with my little portable heater running in an attempt to dry the pants (working better than I expected, I might add). The carpet in my office is brown, so the stain will just blend in.

But it's gone. Every single ounce of that beautiful dark liquid. Wasted. I hadn't even had a sip.

So long, friend. I would've liked to have known you!


8 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is so sad! ;-( Sounds like you're having a week like mine!

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

I found you through Boomama. Just wanted you to know that at least one other person in Virginia blogs.

Too bad about your coffee. I do those things about once a month.

Big Mama said...

Oh I am so sorry about the coffee. You know it was bound to happen with how smoothly everything else went.

Unknown said...

Oh how I love the breakfast blend but I have not had it since I have been pregnant. I can't wait to have one in January! :)

sobeit said...

I am totally in touch with the emotion you had today!!!! I wish I had more time to blog. I miss reading everybody's blog and keeping up with what is happening. School is still not going the best. My group has quite a few behavior problems, so it's challenging. Thanks for stopping by. I know I've been absent, but I am going to try to do better. I hope your weekend doesn't have any spilt coffee (or things of that nature)!

Kelli
http://sobeit89.squarespace.com

Girl Raised in the South said...

It would have been a less sticky experience without the creamer. Likely that made it feel like it was glued to your leg.....tough way to start the day.

Shalee said...

Oh, let me weep bitter tears of dispair about that one. Truly, it was a travesty.

There. I've said a prayer for the dearly departed. I hope you were able to get a good cup afterwards.

Barb said...

Oh no. I thought maybe you were in an auto accident or something but apparently it was much worse than that!

Must be in the air. My husband knocked a full cup of coffee off the kitchen counter this morning. Coffee everywhere.

I can just picture you in there with a soaked pant leg and the heater running. I hope you closed and locked that office door.

You're funny. :-)