August 22, 2007

How Nice!

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about blogging.

Why I blog.
Why I read other blogs.
If I'm spending too much time blogging & reading blogs.
How many blogs I can realistically keep in my Bloglines without going crazy.

To be perfectly honest, when I started blogging, I had dreams of having a big following & an even bigger impact for God. (I'm such a Becky Miller!) I started participating in memes, and linking as much as I could. I left comments like crazy in hopes of having people come visit me. It got a little out of hand. I ordered myself to gain some perspective.

Then I quit blogging altogether for a while. I came back to it in the Spring. I feel like I've made new friends. As if I'm finding what God wants from my blog, and that it's becoming a ministry to the people who He directs this way (at least that's my hope). I'm whittling away at my Bloglines. I'm discovering what's important in this season of my life.

I could hardly believe it when I got a comment from Kate a few days ago, letting me know she'd given me a bloggy award!



Although I've known her only a short time, Kate has been an inspiration to me. We've decided that we'd be friends in real life. In fact, I may just hunt her down so I can meet her ;D

I get to pass this award on to some other gals. I'm picking ladies who haven't already received this award. These are ladies who've been nice to me, and whose blogs are nice places to visit. (That should be a category in my Bloglines!) This is the fun part, because (to quote a line from one of my favorite shows), it's nice to be nice...to the nice!

~Terri @ In His Hands. Once I asked her about a book she quoted, and she sent it to me! How nice is that! And I've been getting lots of great ideas & inspiration from her. Even nicer!

~Rachel Anne @ Home Sanctuary. (Even though I'm totally jealous that she's BFF's with this lady!) Rachel Anne is such a sweet spirit. I know we'd have fun hanging out! Her blog makes me feel like kicking my heels up & drinking a cup of coffee, or dancing along to the fun music she always has to welcome me.

~Alana @ A Kiss, A Hug & A Squeeze. She's another new friend who feels like an old pal. Her comments and emails are always encouraging, and I look forward to hearing from her. And don't you think her profile picture looks a little like this gal?

Thanks, Kate. What a blessing!

(Updated: I found out another new bloggy friend, Xandra, also bestowed this wonderful award upon me. Words can't express how thankful I am!)

Melissa

8 comments:

Alana said...

Melissa,

You are SO sweet. I'm so honored you thought of me and I truly feel that you have been such an encouragement to me with your blog, emails, and comments.

This is my first award!

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

Melissa,
I am so touched! Thank you! I am so glad you're blogging because I really enjoy your posts and getting to know you better.

Thanks again for thinking of me! :)

Janelle said...

Yay, Alana! :)

Donnetta said...

Congrats on the award! Definately deserving!!

Rachel Anne said...

Awwww! Melissa, that is SO NICE of you to pass this on to me. I must say, you are very deserving of this award....out of all the awards that float around, I really like this one because it just sums up so many things in just ONE WORD!

NICE!

It will take me a day or two to get it posted up on my blog and to pass it on, but I'm working on it! I can't wait to visit your other nominees. I've found that nice people have nice friends....

Thanks again, my blog friend!

Unknown said...

I am always pondering why I blog as well. I have figured out that I do it because I like it! I like the community--both reading other blogs and those who read mine.

I know that some things that I say do impact some people, so it does impact people, but like you, I've gotten over wondering who and when and how many. It is what it is.

Sharon Hinck said...

What great thoughts - and I liked your "perspectives on blogging" article, too. I'm finding the community and interconnections a blessing...but it can also be addictive and quickly eat too much time...so I've been doing a lot of thinking about these same issues.
Blessings!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

I think addictive is too mild an adjective! I have to force myself to close the laptop some evenings and spend time with the people that I actually live with.

I have made such a huge circle of friends and I can't tell you how much I have grown spiritually since I began visiting the blogs of Christian women just like me. Your blog has been a particular blessing because so many of the things you mention hit so close to home.

Thanks for your insight and honesty!