September 18, 2007

Truth vs. Theory

When I finished reading Ezra last week, I asked God where He wanted me to go next. He whispered, "Colossians". I continue to be amazed at His timing. I studied this passage Sunday morning:

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.
--Colossians 1:15-18


This passage stirred my soul so much that I considered posting only the passage. I couldn't understand why these few verses, which I'd read before, were suddenly so powerful to me. I didn't realize that on Monday, I'd be confronted with opposition to the very message of this passage. But God knew.

CJ is studying the sun, moon, stars & Earth in science. Last night, she came home with a review sheet that set forth several theories of how the moon was formed. None of the theories involved the Truth. R and I sat down with her and opened the Word, to remind her that God created the sun and moon on the fourth day. Thankfully, she believes His Word and questioned why people have these theories. We shared that people who don't believe in God often try to explain Him away, but we have the Truth.

And the Truth is that Jesus Christ is Lord. He created ALL things. ALL things, including you and me, were created BY Him and FOR Him. Our time, our lives, our resources, our gifts...ALL were created for HIM. Not for our gain, our pleasure, our edification. For HIS.

He deserves the first fruits. We deserve the left-overs.

Lord, forgive me for those times I offer you the crumbs of my life, rather than what's rightfully yours. Thank you for the abundance you lavish on me. Your left-overs are so much greater than my even best offerings. Help me to realize that I am not the owner of my life, and to live that out daily.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Melissa,

Thank you for pointing us to that verse. It is the perfect Truth to combat "theories".

I have been trying to explain dinosaurs for the last 2 years. Very hard!

Alana said...

Good stuff! I've been working on offering more than crumbs.

Heather C said...

How like our Father to lead you to just the right passage, at just the right time. Thanks for sharing!