May 27, 2008

Weekend Recap

The long weekend went by in a flurry of activity.

~CJ had a softball game Friday night. The girls pulled it out in extra innings!

~I hauled myself back up to the attic for a while on Saturday. Only 1 small area left to purge, and I'll be done for the summer! I'll be sure to post pictures of the unbelievable pile that's going to consignment in the fall. I've got one more load of spring items to drop off this week. I still have to sort and store the paperwork that we're keeping, but everything is SOOOOOO much better than it was before! This has been a major undertaking, and I'm proud to say it's almost complete.

~I culled through my bookshelves again and found I could part with some more books that originally seemed like "keepers". I bagged them up and took them directly to the church library so I wouldn't be tempted to put some of them back. I must confess that I took several books I haven't even read. I'm not sure I will ever get to them, but I can always check them out if I do. I needed to come face-to-face with my tendency to buy books that look appealing at the time, or I think I "should" read, and never get around to. Reading is one of my passions, and I don't want to diminish it by feeling that I have to read certain books others are reading. Cleaner shelves mean I don't feel defeated by a looming pile of unread books, and I can easily find those I really want to read.

~For the first time in my life, I taught Sunday School without the first note. I had wrestled nearly 4 hours with the lesson, and still couldn't get anything down on paper. R and I talked about it for an hour after he got home Sunday morning. At his suggestion, I met and prayed with our pastor before class. I was more nervous than I've ever been, but God walked me through it. Our class was able to have some good discussion about the topic (putting God first in your life), and I was able to share a bit of how God's changed my life in the past year. My home life and spiritual life are so radically different than they were, but I didn't elaborate much. In fact, I hardly remember much of what I said during class...but I'm trusting that He will use that time we had together as a class to touch someone's heart. The worship service that followed was absolutely amazing.

~Sunday afternoon was another ballgame. CJ spent the night with a friend, so R and I took advantage of time alone to have dinner out.

~Monday, CJ & I headed to the amusement park day with a friend and her daughter, followed by a cookout with the guys. CJ & I were both dragging this morning, and are looking forward to an early bedtime tonight.

I hope to put together some coherent thoughts on how God is working right now and on "The Excellent Wife" sometime this week. To be honest, I don't know how much I'll be blogging in the coming weeks and months. R and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary Thursday, followed by CJ's dance recital this weekend. With school coming to a close, ball season is winding down for CJ, but R's season will soon be starting. I'm also praying about hosting a Bible study in my home this summer. In between, I plan to enjoy a relaxing, unscheduled summer and spend as much time laughing with and loving on my family as possible.

6 comments:

Jill said...

I think "blogging lite" for the summer sounds like a wonderful idea. I've considered it myself. I wish we lived near each other - I'd love to come to a Bible Study at your house! :o)

godlover said...

I enjoyed your blog. I know just what you mean about books. Books are also my passion and I must periodically go through stacks and stacks of books and cull out the ones that I can stand to part with. Like you said, you can always check them out of the church library. I always have several books in my "to read" pile and I can't stand seeing that empty spot so I end up accumulating too many. And some sounded interesting when I purchased them but then end up no longer of interest by the time I get around to them.

Blessings
Marj
Calaveras County CA
http://gdlvr.blogspot.com

Alyce said...

Hey girl
Sounds like you had a great weekend.
Are you recital ready?
I am looking forward to watching Chloe, but will be glad when its all over..
Alyce

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

It sounds like a lovely weekend.

I love visiting your blog, it is so peaceful.

Lisa Spence said...

I know God used your words...and your willingness to serve Him...to edify others and bring glory to His name!

Sounds like a great weekend!

His Girl said...

I am so glad to see you're still plugging on with the simplifying! Great job!

by the way... I normally hate auto music players... but you always choose the best songs! I often 'forget' to shut the window with your blog 'cause i am still listening to the song!