September 23, 2008

Narrowing My Focus

Monday I prayed for the Lord to narrow my focus to see only Him. Today's reading in Breathe: Creating Space for God in a Hectic Life

We do not focus on Christ accidentally. We need to be intentional about it, or we will become scattered and distracted.
The recurring theme in my walk with God this past year has been that my days...my life...is supposed to be about Him.

Throughout the course of each day, many things clamor for my attention. Some good. Some not-so-good. My own sinful heart can't determine what's important and what's not. I have a difficult time looking past my own agenda to see God's. In the noisiness of my life, I can't hear what God's trying to say.

That's why it's become so important...crucial, really...for me to rise early and spend time with the Lord.

As my dear friend Joanne said so eloquently here

I don't want to face even one hour of my day without having first spent time with him. Time with Jesus makes all the difference. I know--because I've done it both ways and there's just no comparison.

Amen, sister!

I'd been finding excuses on and off all summer for getting up at 5:30. I trudged through my days, spinning my wheels and wondering why I wasn't getting anywhere despite my efforts. God has reminded me (yet again) that searching beyond Him is futile at best, and quite destructive at worst. Peace and simplicity aren't gained by accident. They are the reward of intentionally allowing Him to order my days from the moment I wake.

Very early the next morning, Jesus got up and went to a place where
he could be alone and pray.
~Mark 1:35 (CEV)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find this to be so true for me as well. That quiet early time in the morning makes such a difference.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Oh amen sister. There is such a vast difference in everything about my outlook, peace, and gentleness when I am actively seeking Him each day.

Kelly said...

This is so true! We must give Him the cream of our top- "off the top." Be encouraged.

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Oh, Melissa I love this post. It is the most important part of my day. I have been trying to get up at 6:30 am and it is not early enough.
I know I need to shoot for 6 am or maybe even 5:30.
When I started doing this a few years back, it was so life changing that I will never go back.

Rebecca Jo said...

I just read something that said we should face with morning with a "Good Morning Lord" - not the attitude of "Good Lord, its morning!" :-)

much2ponder said...

This post is what I needed to read today. I have been struggling with putting God back into my morning routine. Life has been hectic, but it is very true that my days go much better when I spend quiet time with Him before I begin to do anything else. I miss him too. Thank you for reminding me of this important need that I have.