April 10, 2009

Because of the Cross




Angela at Becoming Me is hosting a blog carnival, Because of the Cross (click on the image to learn more). I'm re-posting an observation that really struck me last year.


The LORD said to Moses, "Give this command to the Israelites and say to them: 'See that you present to me at the appointed time the food for my offerings made by fire, as an aroma pleasing to me.' Say to them: 'This is the offering made by fire that you are to present to the LORD: two lambs a year old without defect, as a regular burnt offering each day...On the first day of every month, present to the Lord a burnt offering of two young bulls, one ram and seven male lambs a year old, all without defect.
--Numbers 28:1-3, 11



Two lambs a day seems like a meager sacrifice for sin. Even the monthly sacrifice of 10 animals is a small price to pay.

I gossiped, but it's okay because my husband took our lamb to the priest this morning.

I cheated my fellow countryman, but I was the first one at the Tabernacle this morning, so I'm covered.

I coveted my brother's wife. Sure am glad I paid my sacrifice today!


Pretty convenient, isn't it?

And yet, there were 601,730 Israelite men over 20 years old (see Numbers 26:51).

1,203,460 lambs sacrificed every day.

6,017,300 animals slaughtered on the first day of each month to pay for the sins of their masters.

And it wasn't enough.

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!"
--John 1:29






4 comments:

Angela Nazworth said...

Wonderful insights...we would never be able to atone for our faults...how amazing it is to know that Christ did it for us and how heartbreaking to know that so many reject him still.

Jesica said...

Wow, that really puts things in perspective. What a gift He gave us! Thanks for sharing.

Mary Moss said...

Ouch! Thank you for making this so personal - after all our Savior is a PERSONAL SAVIOR!

Easter Blessings.

His Girl said...

breathtaking.

Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe
Sin had left a crimson stain
He washed it white as snow.