June 16, 2009

Great Expectations

As CJ would be sure to tell you, I have high expectations. (Not her most favorite thing about me, to be sure) It's true...I do. Which worries me a little about this trip. Last year's team saw 1,100 - 1,200 salvations in 10 days. I've been expecting God to repeat or surpass last year's work.

In Acts 3 (v. 1-10), the man at the gate expects Peter and John to help him financially. Instead, they heal his body. His expectations weren't met. Was he upset? No...in fact, just the opposite. Verse 8 says he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God. He expected one thing but received another, which was a greater blessing than he'd ever anticipated.

As I've prayed about my expectations for this trip, the Lord reminded me that only one thing need be expected:

...it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. - Philippians 1:20 (ESV)


As I said yesterday, these 10 days of my life are going to be full of the works that He's already prepared. My only expectation can be that, as I seek to walk in them, He is glorified.

May it be so, Lord Jesus!




No comments: