August 28, 2009

Back-to-School Fiction

I haven't been able to read as much lately as I'd like, but I have read a couple of fun books lately:


(from the publisher)- Even in a sleepy, southern town like Sweetgum , Tennessee , love isn’t easy. The Knit Lit ladies learn they can find strength and guidance in the novels they read, the love of their family, their community–and especially in each other.

I enjoyed this book. It was a light, fun read. I generally adore books about reading, and I want to learn to knit...so it was right up my alley. I may even go back to read the first book in this series.


Rose House (La Rosaleda Series #2) by Tina Ann Forkner:

(from the publisher) - A vivid story of a private grief, a secret painting, and one woman’s search for hope. Still mourning the loss of her family in a tragic accident, Lillian Diamon finds herself drawn back to the Rose House, a quiet cottage where four years earlier she had poured out her anguish among its fragrant blossoms. She returns to the rolling hills and lush vineyards of the Sonoma Valley in search of something she can’t quite name. But then Lillian stumbles onto an unexpected discovery: displayed in the La Rosaleda Gallery is a painting that captures every detail of her most private moment of misery, from the sorrow etched across her face to the sandals on her feet.

This was certainly not a light read. Lillian's pain is real and deep. I enjoy reading a romance surrounded by a little mystery, and Rose House was a good combination. (This is totally random, but for some strange reason I kept picturing Truman as Stanley Tucci.)

Because I haven't been able to read much lately, I haven't made it to this one yet...but it does look like fun.

The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper by Kathleen Y’Barbo:

(from the publisher) - The future is clearly mapped out for New York socialite Eugenia “Gennie” Cooper, but she secretly longs to slip into the boots of her favorite dime-novel heroine and experience just one adventure before settling down. When the opportunity arises, Gennie jumps at the chance to experience the Wild West, but her plans go awry when she is drawn into the lives of silver baron Daniel Beck and his daughter and finds herself caring for them more than is prudent–especially as she’s supposed to go back to New York and marry another man. As Gennie adapts to the rough-and-tumble world of 1880s, she must decide whether her future lies with the enigmatic Daniel Beck or back home with the life planned for her since birth. The question is whether Daniel’s past–and disgruntled miners bent on revenge–will take that choice away from her.

Happy reading!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Truman as Stanley Tucci! Funny. I didn't at all, but once you said it, I could sort of picture it with the hat and all.

Gretchen said...

I'm addicted to Christian fiction, so thanks for the suggestions!