August 3, 2009

Have I Really Forgotten?

I've been back from Peru for one month. When I left, I swore I'd never forget the people, the miracles, the full and complete reliance on God. I vowed to carry it with me always.

One measly month later, it's gone. And that makes me incredibly sad.

If I truly remembered, I wouldn't be so upset at walking into my bathroom and seeing just floor joists and duct work. I'd think about how others live, and count my blessings.



If I truly remembered, I wouldn't be so overwhelmed by the laundry. I'd think about the modern conveniences I have, and count my blessings all over again.




If I truly remembered, I wouldn't dread cooking dinner for my family. I'd think about the ladies in the soup kitchens who volunteer to provide meals for their neighbors, and I'd be counting my blessings one more time.








If I truly remembered, I wouldn't grouse about the appearance of my home.



Or our school systems.



Or going to Wal-Mart.



Instead, I'd be thanking the Lord for Lucy, who asked if I could bring her home with me. This beautiful woman is knit to my heart.


And Luis, who wanted everyone in the States to see the Bibles we were distributing.



And these girls, with their contagious enthusiasm and giggles.



And this precious girl, who pleaded with me to take her picture.


I'd think about the honor of becoming a sister in flight - and in Christ- with members of the Peruvian Special Forces.



I'd praise Him for the beauty of the Pacific Ocean, which I'd never seen before.



And I'd be praying that He calls me back to this place and the people who have left an indelible mark on my life.



I've come to accept that I'll never be able to articulate my trip. I've struggled with sharing, not just on the blog but also with friends and family. I've realized that mere words would cheapen His work. So, in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, That's all I have to say about that.




2 comments:

His Girl said...

what a beautiful post and a beautiful reminder to my complain-y heart. Glory to God!

Brandy said...

I can so relate to this, Melissa.