August 24, 2010

What's On My Nightstand - September

What's On Your Nightstand

As the dog-days of summer come to a close (Lord, please let them come to a close!), I'm looking forward to spending evenings tucked under my favorite blanket with these:

~Raising Girls (currently reading). I'm reading this at the recommendation of a friend who's got a girl a few months older than CJ. At first I was skeptical about what insight two women who aren't mothers could offer, but I'm actually learning a lot. As the mother of a pre-teen girl, I need all the help I can get.

~Women's Ministry in the Local Church (currently reading).  I can't wait to start blogging about this one at Offering Hospitality next month. Very convicting read about our role as women in the local church, even for those of us who aren't on the women's ministry team. As a deacon's wife, I'm finding it extremely helpful.

~Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure (currently reading).  Lisa's posted several excerpts that piqued my curiosity about this series of sermons from the 1960s. I'm only in the second chapter, but I'm already finding it relevant for believers today. I'm sure I'll be blogging about this book in the coming weeks.

~Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild. (to read). I've had this one in my stack for a while, but after hearing Mary Kassian on the Revive Our Hearts program this week, I'm moving it to the top of my list.

~Surprised by Grace: God's Relentless Pursuit of Rebels (to read). I'll be joining some good bloggy friends to discuss this one in September...wait for the surprise announcement.

~The Last Song (to read). We watched the movie this weekend, and CJ is eager to read the book. I'm screening it before allowing her to read. Has anyone else read this? Your thoughts? (I've enabled comments on this post).

What are you reading these days? Leave a comment.  Better yet, write your own list & link it to 5 Minutes for Books.



7 comments:

Lisa Spence said...

Some great books on your list! Also love your blog's new look!

Unknown said...

I was so happy to see your link and Lisa's back to back -- it's like "old home week."

The girl books sound interesting -- big sigh (or deep breath or something!!). We gotta hang in there and persevere and keep giving it our all.

I have Surprised by Grace too, and still need to read it -- I'll look for the surprise announcement.

Carrie said...

I'm so glad you are reading Women's Ministry in the Local Church. I really value your thoughts on that - even though I haven't heard them yet.=)

And I owe you an e-mail so watch for it! ;)

Here's to you getting a break from the heat!

Nancy said...

Sounds like a great list of books. Happy reading!

Nancy @ 5minutesforbooks.com

bekahcubed said...

What's this I see? Comments? On "Breath of Life"? (Thanks for opening them for the day!)

All of those look interesting. I can understand why you'd want to screen some of Nicholas Sparks' stuff. I haven't read The Last Song but have heard from others that certain of Sparks' books can have some...less appropriate scenes.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I recently got Surprised by Grace for my Kindle, but haven't read it yet, so I'll watch for the announcement!

Unknown said...

I have read The Last Song, but I can't remember it well enough as far as screening it for a younger reader. Your list looks great!

Lauren