October 4, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Praising the Lord this week for:

~A long-awaited answer to a friend's prayer. Not happening the way we thought, but happening nonetheless and it's wonderful to see.

~A double date with my man and our closest friends to see this show.

~Football, football, and more football.

~The opportunity to teach and discuss things of the Lord with my girl.

~Friday night in with a good movie.

~A husband who motivates, inspires, and encourages me.

~Our youngest niece's baptism.

~Our oldest niece's birthday.

~Opportunities to guest post for Elizabeth and Jessalyn, and on the same day. As I jokingly told Jessalyn, apparently I'm storming the internet, one blog at a time.

~These words:

...we have nothing. Recognizing our innate destitution and bankruptcy is so freeing. It so strips us of self-reliance that our busy heart is able, at last, to find calming rest. It tells us that what we need to do is stop milling about, trying to find something we can do to make ourselves better. All we can do is sit down & trust that he is handling it. He's got lunch covered. He's got eternity covered. He's got our sin covered. All we can do is sit down & let him serve us. Amazing condescension & grace.
~Elyse Fitzpatrick
Comforts from the Cross: Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time

(emphasis mine)
 and these:

"I would to God that saints would cling to Christ half as earnestly as sinners cling to the devil. If we were as willing to suffer for God as some are to suffer for their lusts, what perseverance and zeal would be seen on all sides!
~Spurgeon

and, most importantly, these:

 For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.
~Isaiah 55:8-9

3 comments:

Angela said...

Love the quote by Elyse Fitzpatrick! I long to be in a Bible study with women who get this!!!

Leslie said...

Great list!! I like The Truman Show, too. It's very similar to today's reality t.v.

Persis said...

Yes, praise the Lord for discussing the Lord with our girls.